“The best hedge against bad things happening is having very little debt and marketable skills”
Rob Berger is the man behind DoughRoller.net. We’ve appreciated his material over the last year and found his research and content on Robo-advisors particularly pertinent to our recent discussions. Jon Stein came on the show back in episode 22 to discuss Betterment, and we wanted to get Rob’s take on the benefits of Robo-advisors like Wealthfront and Betterment.
On this episode, we compare the top 2 leading Robo-advisor platforms and discuss the pros and cons of tax-loss harvesting, the overall value of this automated feature, and which type of accounts it is most effective in.
Listen to ILAB 27 on iTunes here or subscribe on your favorite podcast app.
ILAB 27 Show Notes
Where are we:
Sam – Florida
Rob – Virginia
Johnn FD – Chiang Mai
- Wealthfront (Rob’s Choice) – get $15,000 managed free
- Rob’s article on Tax-Loss Harvesting and Robo-Adivsors: http://www.doughroller.net/investing/guide-tax-loss-harvesting-robo-advisors/
- Free spreadsheet – A tool Rob uses to track his portfolio performance
- Investing in gold and Silver – http://www.doughroller.net/investing/is-buying-gold-and-silver-bullion-a-smart-move/
- ILAB 22 – http://investlikeaboss.com/ilab-22-betterment-ceo-jon-stein-a-decade-of-pioneering-robo-advisory/
- ILAB 15 – http://investlikeaboss.com/ilab-15-meb-faber-on-building-the-all-seasons-portfolio/
- Vanguard Life Strategy Fund (VASGX)
- Vanguard Target Date Funds – See overview of funds
06:00 – Robs Portfolio with Betterment, Wealthfront and Vanguard
08:15 – Life strategy fund vs. target date retirement fund
11:05 – Tax loss harvesting long-term benefits
22:48 – Index fund Low cost passive investing
24:21 – Wealth Front vs. Betterment
27:29 – Rob’s personal investment allocation model
28:50 – Is owning gold and silver a productive asset?
32:50 – Investing in one platform consistently
34:17 – Pricing fees with Wealth Front and Betterment
36:00 – Auto saving money since 18 years’ old
40:00 – Vanguard vs. Robo-advisory
42:00 – Presidential election: Trump vs. Clinton
If you are interested in using Wealthfront or Betterment, you can try them for free with the below links:
If you enjoyed this episode, do us a favor and share it! Also if you haven’t already, please take a minute to leave us a 5-star review on iTunes and claim your bonus here!
Copyright 2016. All rights reserved. Read our disclaimer here.